Types of Admission

Individuals may gain admittance to HSU by one of the following types:

High School Graduation

High school graduates submitting transcripts meeting the foundational and endorsement requirements prescribed by the Texas Education Agency are eligible to be considered for regular admission.  HSU accepts transcripts from schools outside the state of Texas and nations that meet the normal requirements of their respective educational agencies.

Freshmen applicants will be evaluated for admission based upon their class ranking or ACT or SAT scores. Applicants scoring less than 18 ACT or 470 SAT on subtests may have remediation requirements.

Students scoring less than 18 ACT on Reading or 470 SAT on EBRW (Verbal) may be required to take Reading 1301.

Students scoring less than 18 ACT or 470 SAT on Math are required to take Math 0300 if their chosen degree requires MATH-1310 or MATH-1316.

Regular Admission

Regular Admission will be offered to students who submit a minimum ACT score of 20, or minimum SAT of 1020, or class rank of upper quartile. Student transferring to HSU with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 from all institutions will be offered regular admission.

Students transferring less than 24 credit hours must submit high school credentials as well as college transcripts.

New students transferring dual credit, CLEP or AP credit only are not considered transfer students.

There are no course load restrictions for regular admission. Continuation to next semester is satisfactory progress.

Conditional Admission

For information regarding conditional admission to HSU, please contact your admission counselor. Acceptance under a conditional program is based on program curriculum, load restrictions and contractual agreement.

High School Equivalency Examination (G.E.D.)

If an applicant is a veteran, graduate of an unaccredited home school or private school program, or is seventeen years of age or younger and has not been enrolled in an accredited high school for at least one academic year, he/she may substitute a minimum score of 450 on the General Education Development Test (G.E.D.) and scores of at least 20 ACT, 1020 SAT for graduation from an accredited high school. Home school students not able to submit official documentation of their academic program are required to submit satisfactory scores on the G.E.D. and/or ACT/SAT.

Special Student Admission

Individuals, age 25 or older, who wish to enroll for no more than 7 semester hours during any one-enrollment period, may be admitted to special student status upon approval of the Vice President for Enrollment Management. Such individuals will have completed high school or scored a minimum 450 on the G.E.D. prior to admission. Special students will be permitted to accumulate no more than 24 semester hours, and all work will be designated as special student status until the student qualifies for regular admission. Regular admission will be granted after completion of 24 hours as a special student and a 2.00 cumulative grade point average. (Students must be enrolled in at least six semester hours to be eligible for financial aid.)

Start Now (Early College Admission Programs)

The University provides three early admission categories for high school students who have completed their junior year of high school from which they last took work, and have a 3.00 or better grade point average on a 4.00 scale and/or rank in the upper quartile of their class.

  1. Summer Enrollment Qualified individuals who have completed the junior year in high school may enroll in summer school. All work completed will be reported unofficially until the student graduates from high school, at which time the university may issue an official transcript.
  2. Concurrent Enrollment—Qualified individuals who have completed, or are in the process of completing, the units necessary for admission to the University but wish to continue working on high school requirements for graduation may enroll for up to seven semester hours of credit while concurrently enrolled in high school. Such students may not enroll in a course in the same subject in which they are concurrently enrolled in high school, nor may they participate in intercollegiate activities while concurrently enrolled in high school. All work completed will be reported unofficially until the student graduates from high school, at which time the university may issue an official transcript.
  3. High School Completion—Qualified individuals who wish to forego the last year of high school in order to substitute a year of college study in a degree program and who have credit for all of the academic units required for regular admission may enroll as regular full-time students.

Individuals seeking admission in one of the above categories

must submit all forms required by the regular admission process, and also provide: (1) a letter signed by the individual’s parent or guardian evaluating the applicant’s suitability for the category of admission sought and giving consent, (2) a letter signed by the individual’s high school principal or counselor giving an opinion of the applicant’s suitability for the category of admission sought, and (3) course load approval by an HSU academic advisor.

Transfer Student Admission

A student applying for admission as a transfer student from another college or university must submit the following items. (Students who have obtained college credit hours prior to high school graduation must apply according to freshmen admission guidelines.)

  1. Application for Admission: An online application must be completed and submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services.
  2. Transcripts: An official transcript must be sent directly from each of the colleges or universities previously attended before admission can be granted. An applicant with fewer than 24 semester credits must also submit a final high school transcript and an official report of ACT or SAT scores.
  3. Eligibility: A student who is ineligible to continue at another institution, whether for academic or disciplinary reasons, is not eligible for regular admission to HSU. The Admission Committee may consider transfer students who do not qualify for regular admission. For admission purposes, all equivalent work attempted at another institution is included in the calculation of the grade point average on the same basis as courses completed on the HSU campus.
  4. Housing: Admitted students may make their online Housing Request after February 1. All single students under age 21 taking more than six semester hours, or living with family, are required to live in a residence hall and to eat in the campus dining hall until the completion of four long semesters. (A long semester is equal to a fall or spring semester.)

Transient (Short Term) Student Admission

A student desiring to enroll for a summer or for one semester only and not desiring to transfer credits to HSU must complete an application, and furnish a transcript from the last institution attended. Please be advised that transient student status will be ineligible for financial assistance. A transient student who decides to continue at HSU must complete all of the regular transfer procedures.

Former Student Admission

A student formerly enrolled at HSU who has subsequently attended another college or university must submit an official transcript of all academic work attempted during his/her absence. Transfer work is evaluated on the same basis as work completed prior to approval for admission. Student record information must be updated in the Registrar’s Office. A readmission application may be submitted online, http://www.hsutx.edu/offices/registrar/forms/student-information-update/  Note: Nursing students need readmission approval from the Patty Hanks Shelton School of Nursing.

Tentative Admission Status

Tentative status is a grace period, which is granted for one time only and for only part of a semester. Students who have not moved beyond tentative status will not be allowed to pre-register for the next long term. In addition, all official application materials must be received by the Office of Enrollment Services in the semester in which the status is granted by the official last date to withdraw from a course (approximately two weeks before the end of a long semester, three days before the end of a summer term – see Academic Calendar, inside front cover). At this point, students whose credentials have not been received will be withdrawn from all courses and will receive a grade of WP or WF. In this event, no credit will be earned and no refund will be given.


A student applying for admission to audit a class must complete an application, and receive permission from the instructor of the course. There is a $50 per semester hour audit fee. Students over the age of 65 can audit courses at no charge. Alumni may audit up to 12 hours at no charge (forms and details available in the Registrar’s Office).

Dual Credit Courses

Approved high school juniors and seniors may enroll in courses for dual credit on the HSU campus. Courses will be populated by both college and high school students. While all HSU courses are open for dual credit to students who meet the prerequisites, there are a few courses reserved for AISD students on a first-come first-serve basis. See the AISD College and Career Planning Guide for a listing of these courses.

Students must meet specific college and school district criteria before being accepted for enrollment in dual credit courses:

  • Students must have counselor and parent approval prior to enrollment.
  • Students must meet required prerequisites, if specified, for a university course.
  • Students must be prepared to pay for tuition costs and books for dual credit courses.
  • Students are required to submit proof of meningitis vaccination no less than 10 days prior to the start of classes.

For more information, contact Dr. Laura Pogue, Dean, General Education


(325) 670-1366